Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday Snow



Yesterday there wasn't much to write about so I didn't add anything to the blog. I did spend the day out walking and went to several shops. I did buy a small stool and a potty for Natalie to use when I pick her up.

This morning I went to a Russian church with a missionary here. I did recognize a few hymns and the people were very friendly. Afterwards one of the ladies was celebrating her birthday. Here in Russia when it is your birthday, you prepare a huge spread for everyone else. I think I do like the American way better where everyone spoils you on your birthday. The food was great and I really got a taste of quite a few different Russian dishes. It was also nice to "talk" to the ladies and they were very kind and excited about the adoption. I plan to go again on Wednesday and then again on Sunday. Somehow it doesn't seem right not to be in church on Easter. Now that is Easter in America. They will not celebrate Easter here for another month.

As you can see by the picture above, I woke up to snow this morning. It was very nice and warm yesterday and I was able to go out and about in my shoes instead of my boots. I spoke to my mom last night and heard that it was in the 70's and all the pear trees are in bloom. I also heard that it is going to get colder here and that this is a "mild" winter.

I am just amazed by all the things that are available here to purchase (though I was told it really has just been in the last 4-5 months) and I would probably have brought a few less things that I now know I can get here. For those of you who are adopting the one thing I would still recommend is a flat stopper for the sink to do laundry, but you can buy things such as peanut butter, raisins, dish detergent, laundry detergent, toothpaste (even some very specific name brands) personal toiletries (again name brands found in America) and the children's store has all kinds of clothes, toys and things such as strollers. Feel free to email me on the Yahoo site if you want specific information.

I'm not sure what time I will visit Natalie tomorrow but will find out later tonight. I'm more than a third of the way through this trip and I have really enjoyed getting to know the city and the people here. I'll share about my visit tomorrow!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture is beautiful. How do they let you know the time you can visit each day? Do you have to call the day before? I hope you are sleeping and soon it will be over. This wait is so much better than the 2 plus years. I am so happy for you.
Love Nancy

Heather Brandt said...

I'm glad things are going well! Please do post or save a list of things available for purchase. Who knows what region I'll be in? BUT I know the list would be of benefit to others, too.

Take care,

Heather

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sherri!
You have been in our prayers since seeing you off to the airport. Your time there is going by fast for us and hope it is going by quickly for you. We are so happy that this long wait is finally over and that Natalie is officially yours! Let us know when you are ready to go to the park!
love you, Debby for all

Lori said...

Ack! I keep waiting to see a pic although I have already seen her but I will get to see the real thing very soon...glad you are settleing in to Kras! We leave in about 36 hours....aaahhh.