Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Half Way There

Tonight marks the half way point in my trip here. In some ways it feels like I have been gone for so much longer. But in other ways the time is flying by. It is funny that I came here to adopt, but I almost feel like I am on a short term missions trip. I have been blessed to have several opportunities to meet some people who live here. I told you about the missionaries and on Saturday afternoon I met a young girl (in the 10th grade) who was passing out brochures for a company. We struck up a conversation (in English of course) and chatted awhile. She wanted to get together Sunday night and so I waited at the hotel, but she didn't show up (turned out that something came up.) Last night she came to the lobby. She didn't know my last name, but saw my friend Debbie in the lobby and heard her speaking English and asked if she knew me. So last night we chatted in the lounge. Her English is quite good and she gave me some pointers on correct pronounciation of some Russian words. She wants to be a journalist (or a hip hop dancer) so we are meeting again on Thursday so she can interview me for a class project.
This morning I went to the orphanage and saw Natalie. Today we were in a small office as the other room was being used and shared the office with 2 other families. One of her caregivers was also in the room, so there were a lot of distractions, but she did talk with me and attempted several words in English. Since I am now correctly saying "What is this?" we had some good success with interaction! She really must be related to me because one of the adults had brought some cookies and juice for the child she was visiting. Natalie did not hesitate to go right up and ask for her own juice and cookies. The lady was very sweet and gave her some. She has a weakness for the sweets just like her mama. So today I went to the new grocery store and bought some treats to take to her (3 more visits) and to stock up on some food for when she arrives.
Tomorrow will be the last day here for the 2 families that have been here. They will head to Moscow on Thursday and our paths should cross for one day in Moscow. I will miss seeing them, but another family I have gotten to know through the chat group will arrive Sunday. Their court date is Tuesday and they are also adopting a little girl. One of the families here and the one arriving on Sunday have been in the adoption process almost as long as I have, so it has been neat to be able to rejoice with them as they are completing their adoptions.
Until tomorrow!

2 comments:

sandy said...

Natalie sounds so sweet! How old is she?
It's good that the time is passing quickly and that you are making friends and have things to keep you busy when you can't be with your daughter. I'm still wondering if I will stay during that wait or make the trip home and go back (we have young children at home). It's been such a great bonding time for you and Natalie!

Kevin, Christy and Evan said...

Sherri,

I am so glad you have been able to visit with Natalie and that she is bonding with her Mama. I am so excited for you.