I've been following several blogs lately dealing with Haiti and I was thinking about how do people have something to write about every day if there isn't really anything to write about. So I thought I would try an experiment to see if I could come up with something to write about every day for 2 weeks. I always say that my life is not dull so here it goes.
This morning was far from dull. No school today and I decided to head to work 1 hour and 15 minutes later than normal. That way I figured it would be daylight and I would miss the black ice. The subdivision was a mess to get out of, but once I did the road was clear for the next 3 miles. I made a left hand turn and that small road was also clear. Great I thought, this small road leads to a pretty well traveled 2 lane road that at one point turns into a 4 lane road. If the roads near my house looked in this great shape, then it shouldn't be a problem to get to work. It is 20 miles one way to work and a 30 minute commute. So about half way down this small road I hit the county line into the next county where I work. It was quite obvious that I had hit the line, but not because I saw a road sign, but because the nice clear road suddenly disappeared. Instead I felt like I was driving through my back yard. The snow was easily six inches deep on the road. I think I was going about 25 miles the entire 4 miles. Then I hit the road that is pretty well traveled. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being perfectly cleared roads, this road definitely rated about a 4. The road goes up and down and every time I was going up or down, I was praying the entire time. Even when the road opened up to 4 lanes it did not improve at all. So I got to the end of the road and turned left onto a small side road. At that point I was probably about 6 miles away from work. AS I went down the road I was amazed that I was not sliding. At the bottom of the hill I had to stop due to the stop sign and a guy who decides to turn right in front of me. At that point there was no way I could get any momentum to start the climb up the hill. In fact, I couldn't get any type of momentum and my wheels were spinning and spinning. I was finally able to make a right turn which put me out on the highway where the roads were nice and clear. So I headed back the way I had just come only on the highway now. I got off the exit ramp which was not clear at all. Of course I got to the top of the hill and the light was red. It stayed red through 3 changes of green lights for a left hand turn towards me. Finally with no cars or police in sight I proceeded to make my left hand turn and I was right back where I started down the hill. Knowing that the prognosis was not good to make it up the hill again, I decided to go through town instead of taking the short cut. There were hills up and down, but thankfully even though they were snow covered they were not too bad. I made it all the way down through town and prepared to get on another highway. The ramp to merge on was not plowed. But once I got on the highway it was clear sailing for the whole mile I was on there. Off I exited onto another snow covered ramp. As I drove the last mile to work, I got a reprieve for about 500 yards only to turn onto a snow covered road that it would have been best to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. But I took my time and managed to pull into the snow covered parking lot at work only 1 hour and 10 minutes after I left my home.
On the way home, the road near work was only about 50 percent clear and I decided to take the highway which is the long way home, but it was clear and a lot less stressful.
Tonight they are calling for freezing rain and black ice in the morning. No school again tomorrow and I plan to leave about 2 hours later than normal and take the highway!
My life is not dull!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I couldn't quite follow your journey (since I am a good speller, but have a poor sense of direction :), but it sounds horrid, to say the least! I'm expecting a 2-hour delay tomorrow, unless the temps warm up - what is clear is wet and will be ice tomorrow!
Post a Comment