Monday, February 11, 2008

Chapters

I love to read and for the last several years it seems like it is hard for me to find time to read as much as I used to read. Once in awhile, I will get a book on a Friday and stay up until the wee hours of the morning and just have a marathon of reading time. For those times when there is no way I am going to finish the book in one setting, I stop at the end of the chapter and place my bookmark in the book and close it for the evening. Then there are those days when I come to the close of the chapter and think, just one more chapter and then I will go to sleep. And of course there are the times when I have to read through the whole book and I just can't stop at the end of the chapter.
Today I was thinking that I have encountered all of those situations lately. For instance, with the adoption, I know it is the end of the chapter and I can put my bookmarker in place and "go to sleep." I found out today that there will be no more court dates given in February. So I don't have to jump every time the phone rings, because it will be at least another week or two until I hear something. This frees me up to think about other things. Today not only was I able to finish a chaper, but also the book concerning my second job. I had given notice about 3 weeks ago that my last day would be the 27th of this month. But today I discharged the last patient I had on my caseload. The manager had already made arrangements and hired another therapist to be on call and work in that facility at needed. So he graciously allowed today to be my last day there. What a great feeling to know that after I finish my full time job, I now have flexibility to work on other projects and get other things done. As we continue to see major progress with the addition, I feel like the other situation where I am at the end of the chapter, but I am not ready to put the book down, because I need to just do a little more. Over the weekend, I have been bringing out more boxes of my mom's, putting up curtain rods and blinds and moving out some little pieces of furniture. I have also started pulling out some things of Natalie's (like the play kitchen) and putting things out and moving things around as my mom's stuff is moved into the addition. I find that I just can't unpack one box, but want to keep doing more. Today the plumber pretty much finished and there is a commode, running water and faucets on both sinks. Small other little projects like putting the door stops in were also completed today.
It really is amazing after months and months of hardly anything happening, I find myself just wanting to "keep on reading the chapters" as I see things unfolding in front of me at this new pace. It is exciting to see what tomorrow will hold and I wonder what book I will finish next!!

2 comments:

Journey of Faith said...

I totally agree with you. If only life were as easy to figure out as a novel. The clues sprinkled through out the novel usually lead you to the ending well before you reach it. Isn't God an amazing author? No reading the last chapter first- and each page can be exciting as the last. And trying to figure out what the next chapter holds? Amazing.

Looking forward to phone calls next week!!

Debbie S.

Lori said...

Glad to hear things worked out with the other job. hoping and praying that you will hear of an early March court date:0) But that you have just enohg time to get some of those projects done!