Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One Month Today

Today marks one month since I picked up Natalie at the orphanage. Most people refer to that day as Gotcha Day. As I reflect over this last month, I am just amazed at all that this little girl has gone through and how much she has changed. She has truly blossomed. Today we went to my job. I believe I have shared in the past that I work in a nursing home. When she arrived she went with the Activities Director to the coffee house that she was having for the residents. I went to visit some co-workers. About 30 minutes later, (I was getting reports via the activity director and others) I went to check on her and she was sitting at the table sharing all the "goodies" that she has in her bag with the people at the table. She wasn't eating and she wasn't really talking, but the fact that she was interacting and not upset was 180 degrees change from our first visit. Everyone told me how beautiful she was and how sweet. Of course I was the proud mama! She is a sweet child and I love seeing her personality shine through more and more every day. Now with that personality also comes the "comfortableness" of pushing the boundaries just a tad bit. But she is a quick learner and often will tell me what she knows that she is not allowed to do.
She is always looking out for Babushka and the cats. I hear more and more complete English sentences from her and more spontaneous English words too. Yesterday we were leaving the house to go run some errands. She usually has a snack about 10:00 AM and I told her when we were in the house, that we would take a banana in the car and she could have her snack there. So I gather everything I needed and got her in the car seat and as I was putting my seat belt on, she reminded me that I didn't get the banana. So back into the house I went to get it. Who needs a personal assistant or a Blackberry when you have a Natalie. Later in the afternoon we sorted her laundry and put the first load in the washer. While we were waiting on that load to finish, she proceeded to fold all of her dirty laundry. Hmmmm. Do I see a Type A personality emerging?
I love going into her room after her nap or first thing in the morning, while she is still sleeping. I will open the blinds and immediately I hear her stirring and she wakes up with a smile and usually a, "Coo Coo" or two. That is the equivalent to Peek a boo. She always wakes up happy no matter what has transpired that day or the evening before. She makes me think of the verses in the Bible that talk about God's mercies being new every morning. He doesn't dwell on our past but each day is a new day. May I wake up every day happy and ready to see what "new" things God has in store for me.

1 comment:

Lori said...

iF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT CLAP YOUR HANDS!