Okay, I know I have been really, really stressed at my work and I know that stress can really take a toll on you. But I have picked Natalie up at school 3 or 4 times and was greeted by the same secretary each time and this never happened before. I knew it would eventually. So today I get there and go in the office and tell her that I am here to pick up Natalie. Now I know there are over 600 students at this school and she does not know everyone, but come on, at least have the courtesy to ask or at least think about what you are going to say. She picks up the phone, calls Natalie's teacher and proceeds to inform the teacher that Natalie's grandmother is here to pick her up. AHHHHHHHHHH!!! I very firmly said, I am her mother. The woman never batted an eye or even apologized. How rude!!
I have learned over the years to never assume about anything. When I go in to see a patient and there are other people in the room I always ask, Are you family? Most of the time, the person will volunteer something along the lines of, I'm her daughter, sister, etc. My friend Lora suggested going the extra step if they only reply yes, by asking how are they related. Old men marry young women, older women marry younger men, some people have hard lives and it is reflected in their faces, but no one wants to be told they look older than they are. If someone feels the need to make a comment, at least err on the cautious side.
I realize that a lot of people marry young and their children marry young, but just as many people marry older, are not able to get pregnant until older or are in their second marriage.
I really don't think the comment would have bothered me as much if the woman had made an attempt to apologize. I would like to think maybe she was so mortified that she didn't know what to think and that it will be a lesson she learned and next time I show up, she will remember that I am Natalie's mother, not grandmother!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It is a shock, isn't it? That happened to me in January, this year. The woman behind me in line to sign her great grandson in for children's church looked at Eli and asked me if he was my grandson.
I am totally with you on that one!!
Happy Gotcha day to you both!! It was this last week, wasn't it? Hard to believe 2 years ago we were just starting out!!
Post a Comment