Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 2-Joey Grieves

Today I had planned to write more about Selah, but I will save that for tomorrow. Thank you so much to all of you who have called and sent emails. Everyone has been so kind and I appreciate it so much. I am still so sad today and I know with time it will pass as so many of you who have lost pets have shared. It has hit me hard, but I am surprised by how hard it has hit Joey cat. Yesterday when I came home, I cleaned up all the special things I had done for Selah to make her life easier. I had a litter box in my bathroom, little Dixie cups of water in the bathroom and a towel at the foot of my bed where I left treats and her dry food so she didn't have to get off the bed to eat. Joey thought these were all for him too and he enjoyed the benefits. Today these are all gone and I am not sure if that has affected him as well.

Every day my mom comes over the house and lets Maxx outside. He usually just hangs out around the patio but stays outside until I get home from work. Joey on the other hand would sleep on my bed where Selah would also sleep each day. At night Selah would be on the pillow and Joey would lay almost on top of me right next to me near the edge of the bed. As soon as I would get up, Joey would be at my feet, rubbing on my legs for some Whisker Lickens his favorite treat. This morning I didn't see Joey the entire time I got ready for work. I finally found him hiding under a side table. When I called his name I could hear him meow almost like a cry. I gave him a few treats and today when I got home from work, they were still there and he was not. I expected to find him on my bed, but he wasn't there. Instead he was under my bed lying in the exact spot that Selah laid for the last week. Again he meowed that pitiful cry. I gave him some treats and he ate a few. This evening I came upstairs and again he was under the bed. I took him out and tried to brush him which is something he loves, especially on the side of his mouth where his whiskers are. But he just laid there and didn't move. So I picked up up and held him and we just rocked in the rocking chair. Seeing him like that made me cry all the more. When I put him, down he left the room and went under the bed in the guest room.
It just breaks my heart to see him like that and I am hoping with time, his little heart will heal too. Joey has always been a one person cat, but I had no idea that he was so attached to Selah. Please pray for little Joey that he will be alright.

2 comments:

Susan said...

They used to party together while you were at work!! Time heals all wounds. Cats sense more than we think. You will always have good memories of Selah!

KDH said...

Wow - how sad and insightful!