Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Water Cat

I like to drink water. I like it filtered and I like it cold. Nothing tastes better to me than fresh water and cold at that!! Selah on the other hand had an entirely different opinion on water. Not that she didn't like to drink it, but the less clean, less fresh the water the better. Early on when I first got Selah, I would take a shower, get out and find Selah sitting on the commode waiting for me to finish and then she would jump into the tub and finish drinking the droplets of water. She did this for a number of years and then just stopped for several years and about 4 years started doing it again. When I lived in Fayetteville I had a 10 gallon fish tanks that was on a stand about 3-4 feet high. It had a lid that covered only half of the tank in the front. Selah was jump on top of that tank and drink that fishy water. She would sometimes paw at the fish through the glass but never stick her paws in the water. But she loved that water. When we lived in an apartment in Boston, we had sliding glass doors. When the door was steam up and and the condensation would trickle down to the metal threshold, she would drink that water. She always had fresh water available but loved that "dirty" water. She has preferred to drink out of the trays around plants or flower pots, swimming pool water (from Natalie's inflatable pools) puddles from rain water and most recently the creek water through the back yard woods. My mom and I joked that she would travel down to the Fountain of Youth. I don't know, maybe all that "dirty" water was what kept her going all these years.

No comments: