Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tags

Natalie and I went to a Science Center on Friday. We had a delightful time seeing all the animals and interesting "facts." We stopped at the gift shop and bought some little stuffed cats. As soon as she got home, she ripped the tag off the animal and wanted to rip the tags of some other items we picked up. I have noticed that she does not like tags of any kind to stay on clothes, toys, books, etc. I, on the other hand will leave the tag on until I wear the item or get ready to use it.

I was thinking about how Jesus tells us to be like the children. As adults it is so easy to put a "tag" on someone and leave it there until we have completely checked out the person and even some times after we do, we still leave that tag on that person. I was reflecting on how Natalie is just so quick to accept everyone right where they are. In that way, she is truly reflecting how Jesus instructs us to love one another. May the Lord help me to be more like Natalie and remove the tags immediately!

On an entirely different topic, I wanted to share some changes in Natalie since she has spent the last several weeks home with me. She has an old computer that my sister had given to me and she is now actually sitting and using the computer for up to 20-30 minutes at a time. Before she would say she wanted to use it, but within 5 minutes would be bored and walk away from it. She has actually started watching some old Winnie Pooh and Barney videos. She will sit for about 20 minutes and enjoy watching it. Previously I could not get her to attend for more than a couple of minutes. Another area is her coordination. I see that when she is riding her bike, playing with a ball and going up and down the stairs. And of course her language skills continue to improve. Her current favorite expression is: "That is really cool mama!" Overall she has shown a huge growth in her maturity and response to requests. She has always been a helpful child, but every day I am amazed by how much she wants to help and what she wants to to. One night she was very upset because we ran out of time for her to help me change the sheets on my bed. Another day she was determined that she was going to clean her bathroom. I know there are many parents who tell me that this desire to help may not last, but I really think that is just a part of her personality. I may have shared this before, so forgive me if I have.

When I was praying about the child that the Lord had for me, I had 3 requests:
1. That there would be no attachment disorders. She has bonded well and is a very affectionate and sweet child.
2. That she would love animals (I was concerned how she would react to the cats). She loves the cats. Dogs she is still not so sure about:) and other animals she enjoys looking at.
3. That she would have a gentle spirit about her. There is no doubt that God blessed this child with a double dose of this. The other day on our way back from the Science Center, I got turned around and ended up going way out of my way. We left at noon and I know she was very hungry. But when I told I went the wrong way and it would be awhile before she ate, her response was, "That's okay mom." She is tender hearted and wants so much to please me and make sure everyone is happy and again to help any way she can.

God heard the cry of my heart and more than answered this prayer request. The Lord just continues to use Natalie to teach me, humble me and most of all, bless me!!

No comments: