On Friday one year ago, we didn't go to the orphanage to visit Natalie so I have no pictures from that day. Since Krasnoyarsk is 12 hours ahead of us, it was one year ago now that I went to pick up Natalie at the baby home after my 10 day wait after court. The day you pick up your child is often referred to as "Gotcha Day."
When we got there, they brought her into the play room that we had met in during those 10 days. There was no big bow in her hair and she was dressed in a simple frock. She was crying, whether because she was sad she was leaving or scared of what was to come. Yelana, the director of Krasnoyarsk side of the adoption process, talked to her and helped her out of her clothes into her "new" clothes. I have to confess on the one hand, I couldn't wait to finally have her with me and yet on the other hand, my heart broke for this 3 1/2 year old child who had no idea what was going to happen and who was leaving behind her "home."
Tonight I was sharing those memories with Natalie and she says she doesn't remember what she was feeling that day. I've been teary eyed tonight as I am reminded of that long journey that "ended" that morning with my child finally coming home with me. I'm glad that she doesn't remember that aspect of the day. It was a long day and an even longer night. I'll share more of that tomorrow.
This week I have steadily been working on her Life Book. I've made it to recording my flights for the second trip to Russia. I'm glad I have the blog to refer back too since I can't remember some details, such as the hotel from the first trip. That seems a life time ago. Even though it has been a year, in some ways it seems like she just came home. What a great year it has been!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment