Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009!!!!


As usual I am way behind on updating my blog. Christmas, New Year's Day and almost a whole week in the new year have come and gone. I do feel like life is slowing down and I am getting some sense of order and structure back into my life. In the past on New Year's Eve I would stay up until midnight and write in my journal. I would review the past year, write what I think God is saying for the next year and set some goals (not resolutions) for the new year. The last several years, it has been New Year's Day or New Year's Day eve before I would do this little ritual. It is now the eve of the 6th and I have yet to accomplish this task.


Christmas was very low keyed. Natalie didn't know what to expect so she slept until 7:30 and we made our way slowly downstairs. My mom came over and we just took our time opening presents. We went to my sister's for dinner and then came home about 7:00. Since I had to work the next day, we went to bed early. I think I enjoyed Christmas Eve perhaps a bit more. We went to my mom's and watched the Charlie Brown Christmas video (I have yet to upgrade to a DVD) and then read 2 different children's books which told about Jesus' birth. It was a sweet time.


New Year's Eve was just a quiet night at home with me heading to bed by 10:30 since I had to work the next day. I am so happy to report that I now have a full year of vacation time ahead of me. I am looking forward to a real vacation and planning some day trips with Natalie.


In the month of December I made 8 trips to the vet between the two cats. They are doing well now. Maxx is still healing but should be completely healed within the week. They have big areas that were shaved and they look quite funny. They have not been allowed back outside, though Maxx did manage to escape one night. He was finally caught about an hour later.


I am now scheduling a visit with my social worker for our year post placement report. Natalie has been home over 9 months now. It is amazing to hear her speak and now she is associating things (like clothes, puzzles, etc.) with the time we were in Russia. What is interesting to me, is that she does not only associate those things with Russia, but also with me. She doesn't talk about her life before being with me. It is almost as if her life began at that point. She goes for her wellness check up this week and according to my measurements, she has grown almost 4 inches. Still doesn't seem to be gaining weight, but she can eat!!! She is great because she is not picky or fussy about what she eats. Loves salads, vegetables, meat and she does like her sweets too!!


She is just as loving and affectionate as always. And she loves to talk and talk and talk!! She is growing up so fast!! Please enjoy the pictures!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this update. That's great that Natalie remembers her life beginning with you - that means it's very signficant to her (duh, an understatement)!! kh

Kevin, Christy and Evan said...

Happy New Year! It is hard to believe that you will soon be celebrating your First Forever Family Day! The time has flown.