Saturday, June 5, 2010

Kindergarten

I was speaking to someone the other day and mentioned my blog. I told the person that I hadn't written on it for awhile and in fact I thought it has been some time in May. I was surprised when I saw that it was in April that I wrote my last post. Yikes! We have been busy and I need to go back and update some of the things we have been up to!
Thursday night I met with Natalie's teacher to discuss her end of the year test scores. They test reading and writing together and math is tested separately. To make a long story short, Natalie scored right at grade level. She has a lot of 6 year olds in her class and even one child who is 7. I was amazed when I went to her school on Friday to see a program, how much bigger than Natalie a lot of the children were. So when I consider that she has been speaking English for only a little over 2 years, that most of the children are older (she will be 6 in July) and that they have had exposure to English, preK classes and teaching DVDs and TV, well, I am just incredibly proud of my little girl. We worked very hard, especially the first 6 months. There were days when I thought she would never recognize all of her letters, count beyond 10 and learn all 33 sight words, but learn she did and she has flourished.
Friday they did a program and I am going to do my best to upload the little segment where she sang her specific part. I have had that song running through my head for weeks!!
School does not officially end until this Thursday, but I have no doubt that putting her in kindergarten was the best decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Natalie- extremely impressive and a job well done to both you and your amazing mom. Loved the video and pics, too.
KK

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
I takes a lot of courage to sing in front of an audience. You should be very proud! I am happy that you had a wonderful school year. I am sure you will have a fun-filled summer! Kim