Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hello School!

Natalie started school on Tuesday. She is really enjoying school. Other than adjusting to getting up at the crack of dawn (really it is before daylight) and working out the bus schedule, everything has gone well. Last Sunday there was an open house as she is attending a brand new school. I got to meet her teachers and tour the school. Tuesday there was a brief meeting for all kindergarten parents and it took me longer to get to the school (due to traffic and finding a place to park) than for the meeting itself.

She was disappointed yesterday as it was Saturday and she didn't get to go to school. This weekend I have spent a lot of time catching up on things that needed to be done around the house and especially outside. Natalie has been a great help and it is amazing how fast she is growing up. The other day we were in the car and she told me about a boy at school who had a cut above his eye. Her next remark was that we needed to pray for him. So I told her to go ahead and pray since I was driving. She prayed for him and I was really touched. It is sweet and encouraging to see her compassion and concern for others.
The last several weeks we have been going through tons of winter clothes for her to try on. It is unbelievable how many clothes she has outgrown. The pants and sleeves are too short and some things are too tight. She is definitely having a growth spurt as this child is eating more than me at times. But the good thing is that she likes healthy food and she is not a picky eater at all. Joey Cat even got in on trying on clothes!


It is hard to believe that it was 2 years ago this time that I received word that I had a referral. All I was given was her name, age and one primary diagnosis. Based upon that, I had to decide if I would accept the referral or not. If I did, I would receive more information later on and then still could change my mind if I wanted to. I spoke with the doctor and decided to accept. I would have to wait another 3 weeks before I got all the other information. I can still remember that time so vividly and how surreal it was. Now 2 years later, I still marvel at God's goodness and perfect timing. I am truly blessed by this little girl!! She was so little and now she is in kindergarten. Everyone tells me how fast the time will go and so I am trying to cherish each moment. She has learned so much in day care and I think she will learn even more this year. It is hard to believe that a year ago she spoke very little English. Now it is hard to believe that this little Southern Belle ever spoke Russian. She is amazing!!

1 comment:

Heather Brandt said...

Wow! I can't believe it has already been two years since her referral!

Praying God will continue to bless you and help you to grow closer as mama and daughter.

heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com